Idiot-proof instructions for how to join The Oldie Gang
To sign up to The Oldie Gang you will first need to sign up to Meetup.com. Below are two guides to help you do so.
- First go to Meetup.com
- Click the Sign up – found in the top right-hand corner
- A pop up will appear asking you to ‘continue with’ Google, Facebook or ‘sign up with email’
- Once you have clicked ‘sign up with email’ you will be asked for your name, your email address and a password of your choice.
- Fill in this information.
- Click Continue
- You will then be shown a message stating that you need to verify your account to activate it. Meetup.com will have sent you an email with a link allowing you to do this. This can take up to five minutes.
- The email will look something like this.
- Once you click ‘Verify your account’ you will be asked to add a photo
- If you do not wish to you can ‘Skip for now’ - at the bottom of the message
- You will then be asked to select a category of activities that most interests you from a list. The idea behind this is so that Meetup can recommend things to you based on your interests rather than at random. NB: You must select at least one of these categories to continue. To do so, click Next in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Once you have selected your categories of choice you will be asked to Narrow them down. For example, if you selected writing you will be given a choice of what kind of writing, i.e. screen writing, novel writing etc. (Narrowing down is optional)
- The Next page will look similar to the Interests page above, but rather than interests you will be given a choice of different groups to join. (This too is optional)
- To continue press Next at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- You will then have the option to join your first Meetup. Once again, the choices offered will be based upon your interests. (Again optional)
- Press Next and you will have successfully joined Meetup.com
TO JOIN THE OLDIE GANG
Fortunately, joining The Oldie Gang is significantly faster than joining Meetup itself.
- To join The Oldie Gang you will need to click Explore in the top right-hand corner of the screen
- This will take you to Meetup’s Search Engine
- For those outside of London the distance from London can be set up to 100 miles if you are not within the default 5 mile radius
- All you need to do is type in The Oldie Gang to the Search Engine (WITH THE GROUPS TAB SELECTED) and once it appears on your screen press Join
- You are now a member of THE OLDIE GANG
- Now that you are a member, you will be able to join any Oldie Gang event you like.
SIGN UP TO AN EVENT
- To sign up to an event just click Attend
OR click the event name and then the TICK in the top right-hand side of the page
- A pop-up will lead you through the steps for payment, all of which are done through PayPal.
- At the end of the payment process you must click the Return to Merchant button, otherwise Meetup will not register you as attending the event.