There is no need to be daunted by the internet – it can so easily be your friend. This course, run by The Oldie’s own grey-haired digital columnist Matthew Webster, will help you understand how to get the best out of the worldwide web, avoid scams, make optimum use of the finest online services and generally take control. The day is in the form of a seminar – you will not have a computer in front of you, but will see what can be done on a large screen. Discussion will be encouraged, and you will go away with printed notes from the course to reference in future use and to help you day-to-day when ordering the shopping, sending emails to grandchildren and sourcing books online .
- What is the internet – how does it work?
- Being safe on the internet and avoiding scams
- Effective searching – find the facts you want, including reliable sources of information
- Shopping and how to find bargains, getting cashback, and returns policies
- Banking online – is it safe?
- Online services – finances, diaries, finances
- Backing up
- Streaming services – podcasts, YouTube, Spotify, Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon and Parliament live
- Managing photos using Google Photos
- Messaging – email, WhatsApp, Skype
- Brief overview of Twitter and Facebook, and how to use them to interact with broadcast media
Bookings and enquiries Price: £195 per person, for the day. Please contact Katherine on 01225 427311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your place