There is no need to be daunted by the internet – it can so easily be your friend. This course, run by The Oldie’s own grey-haired digital columnist, Matthew Webster, will help you understand how to get the best out of the worldwide web, avoid scams, make optimum use of the finest online services and generally take control.
The day is in the form of a seminar – you will not have a computer in front of you but will see what can be done on a large screen. Discussion will be encouraged, and you will go away with printed notes from the course to refer to in future and to help you day-to-day when ordering the shopping, sending emails to grandchildren and sourcing books online.
- What is the internet – how does it work?
- What’s new online?
- Being safe online and avoiding scams
- Effective searching – find the facts you want; reliable sources of information
- Shopping and how to find bargains, getting cashback, and returns policies
- Banking online – is it safe?
- Online services – finances, diaries
- Backing up
- Streaming services – podcasts, YouTube, Spotify, Netflix, iPlayer, Parliament live
- Messaging – email, WhatsApp, Skype
- Brief overview of Twitter and Facebook, and using them to interact with broadcast media
HOW TO BOOK £225 per person, inc VAT, for the day. Please contact Katherine on 01225 427311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your place. Strictly limited to 20 places.